Greenville, SC (January 10, 2005) – The Greater Greenville Shrinkdown™ is a healthy living program offered at no cost by Greenville's leaders in healthcare, wellness and education. Sponsors like the YMCA of Greenville, Furman University, St. Francis Health System and Greenville Hospital System have combined resources in an effort to address the growing obesity epidemic in the area and make Greenville healthier.
A key component of the Shrinkdown is helping participants learn how to live a healthier lifestyle. More than just a diet, Shrinkdown participants have a community dedicated to their needs. Shrinkdown members participate in weekly weigh-ins to track their progress; this data is captured online where they can view their progress at any time. And Shrinkdown sponsors, like the local hospitals and media, post informative and motivating articles for the participants.
The Shrinkdown portal is made possible by Mediasation, Inc. a Greenville-based web development company. “When Jeff Dezen and Scot Baddley approached us about the Shrinkdown, we were intrigued by not only the cause, but the innovative approach to the solution,” said Charles Carter, vice president of sales for Mediasation. “We immediately knew that we wanted to help.”
Mediasation was asked to automate the process of the weigh-in and reporting, provide a secure area for the participants and produce a dynamic area for the media. Mediasation employed a cutting-edge technology for automating the weigh-ins. When a Shrinkdown participant goes to the weigh-in stations around the area, their weight is entered into the online tracking system via a mobile phone.
Mediasation launched a website to the public on January 3, 2005, the day of the kickoff. The website serves as a portal for participants to track their progress and find articles about weight-loss and healthy living. The media had access one week prior to the launch, to upload customized content to the Shrinkdown website. Links to articles on websites or information about various publications were made available.
Mediasation, fittingly, provided a media room to the press sponsoring the event. This secure area of the website contains data about the progress of the participants captured in real time. When a participant logs in to check his progress, he will see the links that the press has strategically placed, thereby driving visitors to sponsors’ websites. Anytime a participant visits the Shrinkdown site, whether to download that week’s material, check the date for a health talk or just to get a receipt, they are reminded of the community’s commitment to the battle against obesity.
“We know that with the help of the media, this unprecedented event will be a huge success and set the stage for the years ahead,” James Rivers, president of Mediasation affirmed. “And we are excited to be the technology partner to the Shrinkdown.”
Latest Company News
- Spartanburg Humane Society – New Website and 2011 Calendar Contest Help Raise Money and Awareness for Animals in Need - (Jun 15, 2010)
- Mediasation Experiences First Quarter Success - Looking forward to a Profitable 2010 - (Apr 5, 2010)
- National ASPCA Chooses Greenville-Based Web Firm to Build Professionals Website - (Mar 9, 2010)
- Mediasation Launches First New Websites in 2010 - (Jan 18, 2010)
- Mediasation Teams with Patrick Marketing & Communications on Breslow Starling Web Project - (Oct 16, 2009)
- Spark Websites Continue to Gain in Popularity - (Oct 12, 2009)
- Spark Websites Enhanced with Section 508 Compliance - (Sep 20, 2009)
- HQ IQ: Relocating Businesses to Greenville - (Aug 4, 2009)
- Mediasation President Honored as Greenville Magazine Best & Brightest Recipient - (Jul 31, 2009)
- Mediasation Upgrades Servers to Improve Performance - (Jul 30, 2009)
- View Press Release Archive
###About Mediasation Founded in 2002 in Greenville, SC, Mediasation specializes in custom web development and content management systems. Solutions range from website design, content management, and e-commerce to custom applications and search engine optimization. The company's flagship product, the Mediasation CMS, combines a WYSIWYG editor with an easy-to-use interface, creating a content management system that virtually anyone can use. By enabling companies to manage their website content in-house, Mediasation helps eliminate the high costs traditionally associated with creating and maintaining websites. More information can be found at mediasation.com.